Tuesday, November 13, 2001

I would like to retract the statement that Cluetrain and Gonzo passion is driven primarily by anger. It is what I wrote, but not what I intended. It is impossible to know the source of another person's passion.

I certainly don't feel that "Rage Against the Machine" is the only theme of Gonzo and Cluetrain. I would not be here if I did not feel passionately positive about the many great thoughts the authors have shared with us.

However, there is certainly anger in the Cluetrain and Blogging community. I am not talking about RageBoy, his public persona is an import part of the discussion and the fun.

My thoughts were that oppression leads to anger, which sometimes leads to blogging. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. But the downside of reacting from anger is the risk of creating an US vs Them fighting mentality which can lead to destructive forms of conflict resolution.

The corporations might be doing some things wrong, but the people in those companies also need to be treated with respect.
Can we do this? Should we do this? Must we do this? I vote for should.

No comments: