Monday, January 28, 2002

I've added someone to the team--one Tom Shug--who's relatively new to the notion of blogging and thinking about starting his own. I am cheering him on based on the wonderful stuff he writes in the emails he's sent me, a piece of which follows:

Suddenly, its 1958. I'm sitting in my college pad in the attic of a cheesy rooming house. My on-top-of-everything buddy, Jack, hands me a book of poetry and says, "fasten your seatbelt." It's Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" It's one of those moments you never forget. I'm practically leaping out of my chair. I know, instinctively, that somehow, somewhere, the revolution we didn't know we were hungering for has begun.

It was ten years before the streets spilled over, but, believe me, there were plenty of discussion groups going on in the interim--perhaps not so different from GonzoEngaged--people not wanting to live The Lie any longer--ferment and urgent inquiry simmering beneath the surface of the bullshit gentility of the time.


Uh, yeh, I think Tom's got a future in blogging...

No comments: