Saturday, January 05, 2002

I had a bit of theory there, but if it was wrong (folks?) I'm so sorry. I'd never want to go after someone who took the time and gray matter to chime in here except in exceptionally good fun and jest - especially in response to a first post! I may have to put my amateur Sherlock Holmes kit back in the closet if RB has NOT decided to follow clocke's lead and get himself an alter ego in the shape of you, Clay, just to stir the pot a bit... Anyhoo, I've never been great with math, which ranks among the reasons I went into law. But I think some of your premises are worth further examination. Are the costs of Gonzo Marketing as high as conventional marketing? I've got to think no, since ideally you're cutting out or down the high costs of (1) the internal and external personnel who write the somnambulistic promotional pitches no one really pays attention to or believes, (2) the slick brochures no one really cares about, and (3) the one-way, you-need-this-*honest* advertising that people actively run from. Instead, you're making more effective use of resources you're already laying out good coin for - and granted, perhaps laying out more of it to accomplish a gonzo result: your employees, the phone, e-mail, the web. You're also trying new things like underwriting real specific web or broadcast content that intersects with your micromarket(s). Does it let you raise your prices? People will pay a premium for excellent service and to feel good about where their $$'s going, but let's not get unrealistic. Of course there are limits created by competition. Will it increase your volume? Bound to, 'cause loyal customers will come back again and again. And will tell their friends. Apologies again if I was smoking grass before; I hang out in Southern California, it's what we do.

No comments: