Thursday, November 01, 2001

Rock on Denver.

Very soon I hope to be reading a book called "The death of market research" Any offers?

Most market research is designed to avoid the human voice - slice up the experience and put it into boxes to dole out to nervous executives who don't really understand what is going on.

They take the information and feed it into the Sausage Machine and lo and behold! Out pops a new marketing campaign.

It is not that the idea behind market research in itself is bad. Of course, we all want to know what motivates people. It is just that most of it seems to measure responses and sidestep the nasty fact that it is PERSON that is giving the responses.

Of course as a member of the medja I don't have to deal with these canvassers so often:

"Would you like to answer a few questions on Lim-O glue, sir?"

"Sorry, I am a Journalist, you're not allowed to speak to me."

It's true. I am on the list of 'not applicables'. What is all that about? "Please don't speak to someone who might disturb the normal distribution curve?"

It isn't because I'm gifted. The same goes for all marketing/communications people. Can't give an opinion.

Andy A

No comments: