Monday, November 19, 2001

Hernani: Was that a 'yes' ?


Chris: reading in page 107 "everything was outbound" I got to thinking about the telephone, a not new medium, but one fairly recently rediscovered by marketers and thoroughly abused thereby. I got to thinking about the sort of thinking being applied to the internet and wondered what it would be like if applied to the telephone. I found the exercise instructive.

Imagine ringing, oh Saatchi & Saatchi's and getting: "Hello, please press 1 for the new McDonalds ad, press 2 for the new IBM ad . . . . . . . . . . . . press 9 if you want to talk to a real person - we'll transfer you to a number selected randomly from the phone book - there are no real people here, this is an ad agency!"

What are they - fucking nuts??

But this is exactly what you get from the vast majority of corporate websites. Hey, I think I'm getting it . . . .

I also got to the bottom of page 113 "efficiency is not effectiveness" before I had to get some sleep. Man, that got my attention! I've been trying to tell the people I work with exactly that for - oh, it seems like decades .

They're all running around going on about being more efficient and I'm sitting there going:

"guys, having a more efficient mechanism that still doesn't work is not an improvement!!"

Oy.


Jeneane: the question is, what are you gonna do? I mean, keep blogging baby, but what are you going to do? No-one pays for blogging (yet) so it's unlikely to pay the rent. In the new open source gonzo marketing paradigm, where everyone is in the marketing department because there is no marketing department, what are the marketers going to do?

Although I love you personally (really!) I don't really give a shit, since I'm not in marketing - well, not according to the corporate org chart anyway.

You gonna lurk in the marketing department of the Titanic Deck Chair Rearrangement Company going "hey guys, I think the waters rising or something" or you gonna join me in establishing the worlds first all gonzo company and float off together into the sunset?

"You know that I would be untrue, you know that I would be a li-ar,
If I were to say to you, girl we couldn't get much high-er,
Come on baby, Light my fire . . . . . "
-The Doors

No comments: