Saturday, November 03, 2001

Denver, I'm so glad you're among us... What a treat. Yeh, my name has its spelling challenges. Blame my sister. She was 9 when I was born, and my parents had the creative idea of letting her spell my name. Pre-phonetics, she used one of the many spelling rules she lived by--or at least got through Catholic school observing--"The first vowel talks and the second vowel walks." Thus: JenEAne. Hey, every family has its issues.

Here's a question I don't know why I'm asking a bunch of guys, but here goes. I've been thinking lately of what the Internet means to me as a mother... especially in that it is merging work and home in ways no one ever anticipated... In an article I'm working on for a women's pub, I consider this:

"While it's not for everyone, teleworking offers women a way to merge work with home, and home with work, in an interesting--and often bizarre--way. With the advent of the Internet, physical distance and asphalt highways no longer separate work life and home life. Instead, within the networked landscape of the Internet, individuals, businesses, and customers are seamlessly connected. Technologies like Instant Messaging--which allows my clients to pop up urgent questions, and the occasional good joke, on my screen in real-time--erase distance. Here is there, and there is here, all at once. For many, this infringement of corporate life into the home is unsettling. To my family, and to me, it has been a blessing.

In a daily hyperlinked state of being, I jump between reading "I Spy," writing articles on e-business hubs, playing with our new "Bob the Builder" walkie-talkies, browsing the latest marketing theories on the Web, and teaching my daughter her numbers and letters. (She's quite a typist to boot!) It's clearly not the life of choice for everyone--but it can be especially appealing to new moms as they weave their way through the challenges and options motherhood sets at their doorstep."


So here's the question: Will other chicks get this? Will anyone care? And, do you guys know of any research on this Net-powered work/life convergence? In my mind these days, I don't really "work" anywhere. I see myself as a little node on this vast network--I'm not "at home" or "at work." I am just "on." I have a voice, therefore I am. Of course, I do my job and the paycheck comes. But more and more, that work-for-pay agreement has become just one of many outputs of my new hyperlinked existence.

And, if I am at the tip of a trend, I think it is a trend that will power the Gonzo model. Look at what's happened since I read the book and embraced its philosophies. You used to search up "jeneane sessum" on google and get one pathetic search result--my "unsubscribe" from the Acid Jazz list. Is that any kind of legacy to leave your kid? You know: "Jeez, she was a really hard worker, and she made lots of business people famous, but what did she ever DO...?" So, since Gonzo, I search my funky ole self up on google, and guess what--I've bumped onto a second page of search results. I'm "becoming" someone--a bonafide online voice. ... It's going to be this way. Especially as "terrorist" warnings urge us to go ahead live our lives, but expect that we may be obliterated on our way to work. I don't know. I'm outta here. Blog on, dear friends.

No comments: